Wednesday 29 March 2017

29th March

I had a short walk along the river this morning on what was a distinctly dismal and grey day….


Undoubted pick of the birds was a Dipper, a new species for the parish and by far the furthest I have ever seen one downstream on the Swale. I first heard it calling (a sound I knew I knew but couldn’t place) and then it flew past heading further downstream. I couldn’t relocate it but hopefully it may stay around (although this part of the river certainly isn’t classic Dipper territory).

A single Siskin overhead was my first of the year and other birds seen included seven Goosander, five Teal, two Kingfishers, a couple of dozen Sand Martins, a Grey Wagtail, three singing Corn Buntings, two Reed Buntings singing in the brief spell of brightness …


and this Little Egret with full ‘aigrettes’...


The other evening in the Magic Garden I had an interesting Chiffchaff, it didn’t call and unfortunately this was the ‘best’ picture I managed but it was quite distinctly brown/buff, enough for my youngest son to pick out without binoculars… 


No comments:

Post a Comment