Sunday 25 February 2018

25th February

Well the Beast from the East hasn’t arrived yet and it’s been a glorious weekend weather-wise, only the birds have disappointed. I didn’t add a single bird to the year list this weekend (and only four so far in February). If you took out corvids, tits and Woodpigeons I saw virtually nothing. I didn’t even see a single winter thrush (although there was a flock of around 400 Fieldfares in the paddocks around Yafforth church yesterday). It’s not really even lack of habitat it’s just a general, and worrying, dearth of birds.
The bright weather did get the birds singing though, including this Reed Bunting in the Magic Garden…

This morning I headed over to the north of Ainderby. I don’t walk this way that often because of the rather bleak open fields here but there are some patches of nicer habitat including a thin strip of the nearest we get to woodland in the village. A Treecreeper, a Great-spotted Woodpecker and a small group of Long-tailed Tits were the best of slim pickings there…



Around 20 Tree Sparrows were around the waterworks…


A flock of 30 Lapwings, a pair of Buzzards and a Kestrel were near the Christmas trees…


...and, as I checked out a Common Gull flying over, I picked out another five Buzzards drifting over very high up. I wouldn’t have seen them if I hadn’t been looking at that precise spot. It’s probably a good lesson in keeping your eyes skywards.
This part of the parish seems to be good for birds of prey moving over (including a ‘kettle’ of 20 Buzzards last year). I don’t know whether it’s just coincidence or if it’s because the open fields generate more lift or perhaps it’s a shortcut between the Wiske and Swale?
    
Sandra photographed this blizzard of gulls this evening following the plough in the fields between Ainderby and Morton...


No comments:

Post a Comment