Sunday 11 March 2018

11th March


Other commitments today meant very little opportunity for birding but I popped down to the Magic Garden this afternoon. A surprise find were a pair of Goosander on the lake…



The first I’ve seen on here.
The Little Grebes  and a pair of Canada Geese(my first of the year)  were also on, presumably the breeding pair of last year…


On the floodwater there were another six Canadas.
Yesterday’s heavy rain was equally unconducive to birding but I walked briefly along Warlaby Lane in the gap between the showers. Very quiet (and murky) along here but the first Lapwings were displaying and a small flock of Linnet were in a ploughed field.
On the flooded area there were a pair of Shelduck, my first of the year, and they aggressively drove off another group of four that attempted to land…


A total of six Herons were dotted around the edge…


The only other birds here were 150 Fieldfares, a handful of Mallard, 19 BH Gulls and this pair of Herring Gulls…


These two have been together in and around these fields all winter. I didn’t think they stayed in pairs in winter but there you go…


No comments:

Post a Comment