Sunday 4 March 2018

3rd March


There were still impressive amounts of snow around today and it remained very cold. I walked along the river for about a mile downstream of Morton bridge and then back up Potter Lane.
A single Curlew was by the bridge and my first Lesser Black-backed Gull of the year flew over. Then along the river I clocked up 49 Greylags, 11 Teal, nine Goosander, 24 Mallard and seven Wigeon…

Waders included, unexpectedly, a Woodcock flushed from the river’s edge, two Redshank, four Oystercatcher…


And a good total of 14 Snipe. Another four Snipe were feeding on the ice of some frozen flood water along Potter Lane…


Near here a large field held around 100 Skylarks and a handful of Meadow Pipits…


And a single Treecreeper was in the trees by Swalefields. The first time I have seen the species in this part of the village.


I also got a call from Tracey Palmer saying she had a strange bird in her garden. It was our old friend the White-eye which I last saw around Christmas. Amazing it had avoided predators and survived the recent cold spell, particularly given it’s natural home is East Africa!

No comments:

Post a Comment